Whole Prosciutto di Parma Risotto
5 oz acquerello risotto (short grain) rice
2 tsp fennel and onion soffritto
11/3 cup dry white wine
3 cups Prosciutto di Parma stock (see step 1)
2 Tbsp butter, unsalted
¼ cup rendered Prosciutto di Parma fat
4 Tbsp grated Parmigiano Reggiano
2 pinches finely chopped parsley
2 oz Prosciutto di Parma, fried til crisp
2 pinches rosemary needles, fried til crisp
2 pinches freshly cracked pepper
• Prepare all ingredients: render Prosciutto di Parma fat, fry Prosciutto di Parma and rosemary, and make prosciutto stock using the bone of a Prosciutto di Parma ham and/or remaining skin/flesh. Set aside.
• In a shallow pot over medium-high heat, lightly saute the soffritto. Add rice to the pan and toast. Add white wine to deglaze. Add prosciutto stock, approximately 4 ounces at a time, and cover with a lid. Reduce to a simmer and add stock each time the rice has absorbed the liquid. Once the risotto is al dente, remove from heat and allow to rest for 2 minutes.
• Add butter, prosciutto fat, and grated Parmigiano Reggiano off heat while constantly stirring. Stir in parsley and half the crisped prosciutto until evenly distributed.
• Garnish with rosemary, black pepper, remaining crisped prosciutto, and shaved Parmigiano Reggiano.
Creamy Polenta with Prosciutto and Mushroom Ragu
1 cup yellow polenta bramata
3 qts heavy cream
½ qts whole milk
11/3 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
¼ lb Prosciutto di Parma scrap meat
¼ lb. porcini mushrooms
3–4 sprigs fresh parsley, removed from stems and coarsely chopped
1 stick unsalted butter
½ cup chopped shallots
½ tsp fresh thyme leaves
Red chili flakes
½ cup chicken stock
• Bring heavy cream and milk to a boil and season with salt. Whisk polenta in slowly until it is incorporated completely. Cover with a lid and cook for about 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes so as not to burn it. Once the polenta is cooked and completely smooth, whisk in butter and grated Parmigiano Reggiano. Reserve until ready to serve.
• Dice prosciutto scraps and porcini mushrooms into very small pieces. In a large pan over medium-high heat, sauté olive oil and add minced shallots, thyme leaves and a pinch of chili flakes. Add the prosciutto and the mushrooms and season with salt. Top with chicken stock to cover.
• Plate polenta in the center of a bowl and top with mushroom ragu and parsley.