Mortadella and Potato Pizza
½ cup salt
1 prepared pizza crust, pizza crust kit or store-bought pizza dough
1 tsp minced garlic in water
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
5 oz fresh Mozzarella, torn
1 cup Provolone cheese, shredded
¼ lb mortadella, sliced thin
2 baking potatoes, sliced very thin
1 red onion, thinly sliced
• Wash and peel both potatoes. Slice thinly using a mandolin or a thin-slice setting on a food processor. Soak in warm salt water for 1 ½ up to 6 hours.
• Using a mandolin or thin-slice setting on a food processor, slice the red onion.
• (If using a prepared pizza crust, skip to step 6.)
• Prepare pizza crust kit according to directions with the warm water. Kneed by hand for 3 minutes, or until dough is soft and smooth. Transfer to a clean, lightly oiled bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Allow the dough to rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. (After this step, you can refrigerate for use within 1–3 days.)
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
• Cut prepared pizza dough in half. Roll out dough into a circle on a floured surface.
• Brush dough with olive oil and garlic.
• Top with torn mozzarella, provolone and mortadella. Arrange potato slices in a single layer on top of mortadella. Finish with sliced onion.
• Bake for 12–15 minutes or until the crust becomes golden. Remove pizza from oven and drizzle with olive oil.
• Slice and serve.